If your teeth are not as bright as they used to be, you are not alone. Teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dental service. Dr. Alfred Haeberer and our team are happy to provide teeth whitening in Potomac Falls, Virginia, for those who wish to brighten their smile.
When considering whitening your teeth, you may wonder:
Why Did My Teeth Change Color?
The radiance of teeth can fade over time for several reasons, including:
– Food and Beverages – Beverages like tea, red wine, and coffee can stain the teeth. In general, foods and drinks with an intense color can stain the teeth.
– Tobacco Products – Tar and nicotine, which are both found in tobacco, can create stubborn stains on the teeth.
– Age – Beneath the outer layer of the tooth (enamel) is a soft, yellowish area called dentin. Over time, the tooth enamel becomes thinner and more of the dentin shows through.
– Trauma – If you have a mouth related injury, a tooth’s color may change. This is because teeth react to injury by laying down more dentin, the yellowish layer under the enamel.
– Medications – Certain medications (like antipsychotics, high blood pressure medicines, and antihistamines) can cause tooth darkening. Chemotherapy can also cause the teeth to darken.
At Haeberer Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we offer both in-office and take-home bleaching. Contact our office at (703) 433.2155 to learn more and to schedule your next consultation. Our dentist and team are happy to answer any questions that you may have.